Tuesday, October 14, 2008

[CHW] Intro to PC INNARDS

Having being introduced to the inner working world of a computer, do you dare to take a peek "under the hood" of your own computer?
What are the reasons that are holding you back to "open up" your own computer???
What are the precautions you would take?

Long time ago....
when I was a kid, I got my first computer, it was an "IBM clone" Pentium 100Mhz, 16MB EDO ram, VERY PATHETIC HDD, 2x CDrom. I still remember vividly, it cost my dad's 1 month worth of pay! The day I got it, I open it up.
No guru teach me, no people guide me, I just have the "thing" to open it up.

To make sure I am able to "put it back together", not missing a screw and such I use marker pen to draw a line between the connecting "joints".

Something that I observed and questions that arised...

1. What are the red lines doing at that "flat looking cable" (that time did not know it was called [TTDNKIWC] IDE cable) always connected to the "pin looking thing" (TTDNKIWC) at pin 1?

2. The connectors only have 1 direction of plugging in. Is it possible to plug it the other way round?

3. Do all the computer look the same "under the hood"?

4. the black ports (ISA slots) got a sound card, the white ports (PCI slots) got a graphic card.

5. etc...............................................

share your discoveries...........................

No comments: